Google

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Running in shorts

It is hard to believe just how incredible the temperature is today. The thermometer is reading 74 degrees. The breeze that is blowing ever so gently is also a warm breeze that is enjoyable.

The good weather allowed me to run in my shorts and a tee shirt. It really is amazing just how much easier it is to run in weather like this. Unfortunately it would appear that some cooler conditions are on their way, so I am glad I got to enjoy this.

On the run that I did today, I passed by a house that has a nice dog in the yard. She is almost always outside when I run in that area. This yard has one of those "invisible fences" that are used for controling dogs. There are wires that are run under the ground along the perimeter of the yard. A collar is used that sends an electrical shock to the dog when they get to the "fence". Any time I have seen this system used, it appears the dogs learn well and do not even go close to the edge. Come to think of it, I would probably stay clear myself if I thought it meant that I was going to be getting an electrical charge by walking in a certain area.

This dog only barks if the owners are home. If there is no one at home, she simply looks up as I pass by. However, when the owners are there, she barks up a storm. You can tell she is a friendly dog, so the barking is simply letting the owners know that she is "on the job" of protecting the house. The lady of the house was in her yard today when I went by and I told her about this observation and she laughed. Apparently "Maggie" is very protective of a new baby sister that is in the house.

Today I ran 4.09 miles giving my total for the year now to be 102.1 miles.

The 1,000 mile pace bunny is at 98.64 miles.

The 500 mile pace bunny is at 49.32 miles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is one of the benefits of running ... it gives you the opportunity of meeting neighbors you might otherwise never get to know. An older gentleman and a neighboring lady are frequently walking when I am fortunate to get in a morning run. I really enjoy stopping for a minute and chatting with them.

Joey said...

When you run in subdivision neighborhoods, people are easier to talk to and "assume" you are from that direct area. I have been running in this particular area where Maggie lives, for about 7 months now and have many people who readily speak and wave.