Google

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Running in the rain

For me weather is a big thing when I run.

There is the old expression of a "Fair Weather Friend". Similarly, I guess I could be classified as a man who likes to "Run in the Sun". In any regard, I don't like to run when I am fighting the elements and not enjoying the weather. Running is enough to contend with, without fighting snow, sleet, and freezing rain. I don't even like running when it is too hot, too cold, or too windy. If you want to give me a choice, I will take the heat over cold every time.

Today when I went to run it was starting to release big drops of rain. I immediately had the tempting thought to scrap the run for the day. Instead I decided I would at least get SOME running in and maybe stop early if the weather became a problem.

Over the years I have learned that how you dress has a big impact on how much you enjoy running. I always have more clothes on than anyone else. Again, I would rather be too hot than too cold, so too many clothes is not something I worry about on short runs. The key is to use layers and then shed what you don't need along the way.

The temperature today was 46 degrees. With the rain it felt colder. I put on my regular gear and then added a hooded sweatshirt to the top. This was perfect. As the drops turned to a steady soft rain, the hood on the shirt came up and I comfortably ran my 3.33 miles for the day.

This gives me 144.57 miles for the year.

The 1000 mile pace bunny is at 139.74 miles.

The 500 mile pace bunny is at 69.87 miles.

No comments: