Google

Friday, January 25, 2008

Running with renewed purpose

There are some days when it would be hard to determine exactly why I run.

I started running almost five years ago with the desire to be adding some new things to my life. Part of it was the realization that at this stage in life I needed to be staying physically active for my health. My life style up to that point had included a lot of physical activity. However, this had been brought to an end and it was time to make the adjustment.

I have been running long enough now that other factors enter in. There are days when simply getting outside and enjoying the weather is a compelling force. When I am preparing to run in a race and need to be doing extra miles in preparation, that becomes my motivation. Of course, goals that have been carefully set (like running 1,000 miles in a year) gives me the mental "boot" to get out and put in the miles. Today however, it was different.

It started last night when I heard that a 35 year old pastor from Tennessee had suffered a heart attack. They apparently had to airlift him to a city hospital for help. I don't know whether he survived or not. I wondered about his family, his church, his friends and of course him. As if that wasn't enough, this morning a lady from my Sunday School class informed me that her ex-husband had a heart attack last weekend. She wrote and said, "We never know what's around the next corner in life". Family plans were suddenly changed in a moment in time.

It was cooler outside today and my plan had been to take this opportunity to rest and not run. However the two examples that I had been given within 12 hours of each other gave me all the motivation I needed to run a few miles. Thank you Lord, for health today that allows me to be able to run.

While running does not guarantee the elimination of heart attacks and strokes from happening, statistics do bear out the fact that exercise will reduce that risk when done sensibly and properly.

I only put in 2.79 miles today but that was enough to slightly add to my lead on the pace bunny.

My total for the year now is at 69.88 miles.

The 1,000 mile pace bunny is slightly behind me at 68.5 miles.

The 500 mile pace bunny is at 34.25 miles.

No comments: