Google

Friday, January 4, 2008

A review of my running history

Before I start on this goal of 1,000 miles for this year, it is important to evaluate my running over the last few years.

I started running casually in 2003. At the time I lived along the course of a local Ten Mile race that was held annually. More or less on a whim, I decided I wanted to run in that race. I knew I needed to get in some miles so started on August 13th of that year by running 2 miles. About 6 weeks later I ran in the race and was able to finish, which was my simple goal. My total for miles run that year was 58.

I then put the running on hold and got on with life until the next spring when I decided I wanted to run that race again. This time I ran a few more miles of preparation and finished the race once again. For 2004 the mileage total was 86. Once again I put running aside during the cold winter months.

The year 2005 was a similar pattern but with more runs and more miles, 192 in total. I once again ran the Ten Miler race and realized my pattern for running was not really giving me the benefits of health that I wanted.

In the spring of 2006 I came across a runners website that allowed for interaction amongst other runners my age. Some of them had been running for years and I realized I could gain a lot of benefit by hanging around the various threads that were posted each day. For the first time, I also had accountability for my running because everyone would write each day to say how their run that day had gone. The result was that my mileage that year went up to 505 miles.

I also learned of other races around the country that different ones of my new running friends would enter. During the past year of 2007 I entered my first Half Marathon and also my first Marathon. These races became reasons to run each day as I prepared for them. I also set the goal to make this year the first year of running 1,000 miles. I MADE IT! On Christmas Day I ran 10 miles, finishing that run at the very same place as my first mile had been run back in 2003. I finished the year with 1002 miles.

All of this is important because it needs to be said that caution needs to be used in setting running goals. It has taken me several years to get to the stage of running this number of miles in a year. I did not start out the first year with 1,000 miles as my goal. Each person needs to evaluate their age, their physical condition, what their purpose is and THEN set a sensible goal that still provides a challenge to aim for. I am thankful that in these first few years of running, I have not suffered any serious injury. I attribute this to the fact I have increased my mileage slowly and I also have not tried to run too fast. Speed is not my goal, although I am concerned with how fast I run. I have attempted to listen to my body and take breaks when required.

It is the 4th day of the year and I have purposely not run yet. After my push at the end of the year to get my 1,000 miles, I sensed the need to take a short break. This has been accomplished and now I am ready to start. Are you?

To reach 1,000 miles for the year, I need to run an average of 2.74 miles a day. Even if you go at a pace of 15 minutes per mile, this means that only 45 minutes a day of running/walking will get you to the goal of 1,000 miles for the year. Physical fitness experts recommend that we get 1 hour of quality exercise each day for health. You can see that the goal here is right in line with a good exercise program.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Joey,
Great story and I too hope to make 1000 miles this year.

Liz