Google

Monday, January 28, 2008

Running can be dangerous

A local news web site has the following posted this evening:

"A man is found dying in a southwest Roanoke County neighborhood street just before 6:00 Monday morning and police are trying to figure out how it all happened.

Police say a jogger was struck by a motor vehicle that subsequently left the scene. The jogger, Thomas Farrell of Roanoke, was pronounced dead at the scene.Neighbors tell us someone found the man "near death" lying on Springlawn Avenue. That neighborhood is just across the street from Cave Spring Elementary and Middle Schools. Witness say the man died in the street.Police are seeking assistance in identifying the vehicle and driver involved in the crash." WSET-TV

I have had several times while running that I was aware of the fact that it would not take much to get in a lot of trouble with passing vehicles. I try to always stay aware of my surroundings and respectful of the idea that the road and street is meant for vehicles.....not runners.

On occasion a runner will encounter a motorist with "an attitude". These are drivers who are upset and frustrated that anyone would be running on the street that they are driving. They will purposely come as close as possible to hitting the runner, presumedly to send a message. While I am sure this is often due to a bad experience that has brought this attitude on, it still is not worth the risk of taking someone's life in order to make their point.

Meanwhile, it was a beautiful day for a run and run I did. I ran 4.92 miles during the noon day sun.

This brings my total now to 79.3 miles.

The 1,000 mile pace bunny is at 76.72 miles.

The 500 mile pace bunny is at 38.36 miles.

2 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

That always concerns me since I run very early in the morning and if anything did happen it may take someone a while to find me.

I will be following your progress. I just joined the 1,000 mile group on Running Ahead and saw your post about your blog.

Joey said...

Thanks Tim. I see that you also have a blog going. That is neat and I will certainly be following your progress as we run the miles during the year.