Google

Saturday, January 19, 2008

After the storm is over

Is there anything as peaceful as the day after a storm? Perhaps it is the contrast that the calm offers. In severe cases, it may be the thankful realization that you and your property came through the storm okay. Often you can sense the air of freshness that reflects a new beginning.
Friday was just such a day.

Thursday had brought the predicted winter storm that locally dumped two and a half inches of snow on the ground. This was topped off with sleet and freezing rain that only confirmed that my decision not to run was wise.

Friday was a beautiful day with a lovely warm sun taking care of the snow from the day before. I used the nice weather as an invitation to take a longer than normal early afternoon run. The weather forecast for the weekend is for more winter conditions so this also influenced my decision.

While my chest was slightly bothered at the start, once I had warmed up in the first mile it gave me no further discomfort at all. My route through a local neighborhood has sections where there really is no shoulder to run on. This forces me to go into the ditch while vehicles pass. On two occasions during this run I had to use the ditch and found myself in red mud from the snow melt off. This was slippery and I had to be careful not to fall.

The 8.13 miles brings my total now to 44.77 miles.

The 1,000 mile pace bunny is at 49.32 miles

The 500 mile pace bunny is at 24.66 miles.

No comments: